Constantly undergoing dynamic change, finding reliable success within the global oil and gas industry has proven to be a continuous challenge. Between facing geopolitical volatility, diversification into clean energy that is transforming the sector, constant regulatory developments and technological advancements, operating a business in this sector requires the assistance of a talented oil and gas lawyer.
At Womble Bond Dickinson, our dedicated oil and gas law team supports clients across the entire industry, helping them adapt to the changing landscape by advising on the full range of strategic projects and day-to-day activities. Highly experienced in oil and gas law, and flexible and skilled enough to work in multiple jurisdictions worldwide, our lawyers think innovatively in response to clients' needs.
Oil and gas law firm specialities and services
From advising on a multi-billion dollar deal acquiring a package of UK North Sea to investments in upstream and midstream businesses across the globe, our oil and gas law team are regularly called upon to advise on a diverse range of projects. With decades of experience and knowledge leading the way, we can confidently tackle all large-scale projects, aid in acquisitions and divestitures, complete corporate M&A transactions, solve supply chain issues, advise on day to day operational matters and take the lead in commercial disputes.
Entirely capable of facing the unique and complex challenges of oil and gas law, our team is made up of experienced industry advisors covering a broad range of legal disciplines, working from key energy centres such as Scotland, London and Houston. Every oil lawyer at Womble Bond Dickinson cares passionately about the quality of advice they provide, and many of our staff have commercial backgrounds working for a range of players in the oil and gas industry, ensuring we understand our clients' competitive markets.
Our work within this diverse industry encompasses onshore and offshore conventional E&P, unconventional E&P, LNG, gas storage and carbon capture and storage. Particular areas of expertise include petroleum licensing, joint ventures, development projects, unitisations and oil and gas production, asset reorganisations, finance, share and asset acquisitions and disposals (including farm-ins and farm-outs).
Ready to discover what our oil and gas law firm can do for your business? Browse through the diverse team of specialists online or fill in our enquiry form so we can connect you to the right oil and gas lawyer for you.
What we do
- Upstream and midstream oil and gas
- Oil services
- Pipelines and infrastructure projects
- Farm-ins and farm-outs
- Petroleum licensing
- LNG and Floating LNG
- Sales and marketing
- Asset reorganisation
- Carbon capture and storage (CCS)
- Unconventional oil and gas
- Intra-JV and inter-field disputes
- Licensing/PSC/concession disputes
- Exploration and appraisal disputes
- Supply chain and operator disputes
- Transportation and processing disputes
- LNG, oil storage and refinery production disputes
- Trading disputes, including take-or-pay supply agreements
- Energy-related insurance coverage disputes
- Oil company M&A, private equity.
Examples of work
- Advised Chrysaor, the UK oil and gas independent, on a multi-billion dollar deal to acquire a package of UK North Sea assets from Shell
- Assisted Serica on its £300 million acquisition of BP's interests in the Bruce, Keith and Rhum fields
- Advised Excelerate Energy LP on the divestment of Seal Sands Gas Transportation Limited (SSGTL) to Singapore based Trafigura Group Pte. Ltd for an undisclosed sum
- Assisted Cuadrilla on a large range of oil and gas and associated issues relating to its onshore shale gas operations
- Advised Petrofac on a group reorganisation project and on various offshore contractual and regulatory issues
- Advised Sumitomo Corporation on reorganisation of its UK oil and gas portfolio and auction sale of Summit Petroleum Limited and its subsidiary companies to Ithaca Energy for $170m
- Worked with Third Energy on a wide spectrum of commercial and contractual matters relating to the onshore and offshore oil and gas industries
- Advised Total E&P UK on a spectrum of matters including the West of Shetland infrastructure, the Shetland Island Regional Gas Export System and regulatory issues arising from the sale of St Fergus
- Advised Vitol E&P on its acquisition of a 65% shareholding in Rialto Energy (Cote d’Ivoire) Limited (now Vioco Petroleum Limited), the provision of a $50m loan facility and related shareholders agreement, including advising on a new production sharing contract with the Ivory Coast government.
‘Hard working, switched on, good legal skills and pleasant to work with. Perfect cross-UK and cross-Atlantic practice.’
“[The team’s] oil and gas expertise is extensive. They know the pressures and what in-house teams need, and will come back saying: ‘here are the two positions, but this is the practical way out of it’. We find that commercial acumen a real bonus.”
“The team [at Womble Bond Dickinson] is extremely personable and very clued up on what’s important from a commercial perspective... When we are short of internal resources and need people who really know their way around oil and gas agreements, and who can plug into a project and deal with the nitty-gritty, [they] are a really good resource for us.”
“Established oil and gas practice acting for an enviable roster of major companies. Equipped to advise on the full range of upstream and service issues in the UK and abroad. Recent work includes advising clients on decommissioning and restructuring issues relating to North Sea oil and gas fields.”