Thomas is a litigation associate who focuses his practice on complex commercial disputes and alternative dispute resolution. Thomas has represented clients in all stages of litigation, from pleadings, discovery and motions practice to trial, settlement, and appeal. In addition to dispute resolution, Thomas also advises clients on banking and financial regulatory matters to ensure their compliance with both state and federal law.
During law school, Thomas served on the editorial board of the Duke Law Journal, the school’s law review. As a member of the moot court board, he represented Duke both domestically and abroad. Thomas is licensed to practice in all North and South Carolina state courts, the United States District Court for the District of South Carolina, the United States District Court for the Western District of North Carolina and the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Chevron Under Siege: The Future of Chevron Deference in Congress and the Courts, South Carolina Lawyer, Forthcoming May 2019.
- Damage Control: Understanding Defendants’ Potential Exposure Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, The National Law Review, October 2018
- Class Action Arbitration After Del Webb, South Carolina Lawyer, September 2016, (Co-Author)
- Nonjudicial Appeals of Arbitral Awards, The Federal Lawyer, October 2016, (Co-Author)
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys’ Association, 2016-present
- Atlanta Arbitration Society, 2015-present
- American Bar Association, 2015-present
- South Carolina Bar Association, 2015-present
- North Carolina Bar Association, 2017-present
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represented the world’s largest gelatin manufacturer in a nine-figure commercial construction dispute, obtaining a verdict in the client’s favor at arbitration.
- Successfully represented an international sportswear apparel manufacturer and distributor in a federal action involving claims of copyright infringement, fraud and breach of contract, among others.
- Obtained dismissal of all claims filed against a Canadian aviation parts manufacturer in a product liability action involving a catastrophic airplane accident.
- Secured post-trial dismissal of a seven-figure judgment against an insurer in a bad faith action in federal district court.