Steve is a protector and defender of patent rights in the US and internationally. He is a former research physicist with more than 30 years of experience as a patent attorney. Steve is hired for his depth of legal experience and his active commitment to understand and stay abreast of clients’ technology, product development, and business strategies. He strives to coordinate clients’ patent strategies with the larger business goals of companies he represents.
Many of Steve’s clients are major manufacturers of products in the residential and commercial construction sectors, including manufactures of roofing products, windows and doors, threshold assemblies, flooring products, ceiling tiles, plastic extrusions, and more. However, Steve represents clients in a variety of other technologies such as poultry processing equipment, automotive aftermarket products, commercial drying equipment, complex manufacturing machinery, sports safety equipment and gasket design and manufacturing to name a few.
Steve has participated in patent as well as trademark and copyright litigation in US District Courts and in European courts and has experience in international patent dispute arbitration proceedings conducted abroad. Steve provides clients with patent risk analysis and strategic counseling to help clients avoid being accused of infringing the patent rights of others. This includes, for example, rendering freedom-to-operate opinions for new product concepts, rendering patent infringement opinions, patent validity opinions, and assistance designing around third party patents when necessary. He routinely serves on patent strategy committees of clients, where he provides input and guidance related to strategic planning
- State Bar of Georgia
- Member and Past Chair, Intellectual Property Law Section
- Member Litigation and Entertainment Law Sections
- Alabama State Bar (Member Intellectual Property Law Section)
- Cobb County Bar Association
- Member, Atlanta Lawyers Club
- Member, International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Member American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
Honors and Awards
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© in the fields of Litigation - Intellectual Property, Patent Law, Trademark Law, 2015 – Present
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Patent counsel for many years to North America’s largest manufacturer of residential and commercial roofing products.
- Patent counsel for nearly two decades to large manufacturer of industrial poultry processing equipment headquartered in The Netherlands.
- Personally litigated patent lawsuits and served on patent litigation teams numerous times in courts throughout the United States.
- Served on arbitration team that resolved a patent infringement lawsuit in France and participated in arbitration proceedings in Paris.
- Past president of the Intellectual Property section of the State Bar of Georgia, USA.