Stephen is a partner specialising in commercial litigation. He leads the commercial litigation team in Bristol.
Stephen deals with complex, heavyweight disputes, based on giving clear, concise and commercial advice to our clients that adds real value to their businesses. He makes extensive use of ADR, mediation and creative fee structures (including the use of litigation funding, discounted Conditional Fee Agreements, ATE insurance and fixed fees) and sharing the litigation risk with our clients to set us apart from our competitors both nationally and in the City.
Stephen advises on contractual and corporate disputes. His experience includes supply chain disputes, IT disputes, breach of contract, breach of warranty claims, fraud, misrepresentation and advice on directors' duties. He also advises clients in situations involving breach of confidence and confidential information.
Examples of experience include advising:
- Pursuing a multi-million pound claim against a private individual listed by Forbes as one of the world's top 10 wealthiest men
- Multiple breach of contract, warranty and indemnity disputes for two of the UK's largest financial institutions
- A London Borough Council in relation to a hugely complex contractual and regulatory dispute with a facilities management company worth £15m per annum. This is hugely important and sensitive issue in the post Grenfell era
- A national company following the £2.4million fraud from a former employee
- An FMCG company in relation to a dispute over its product to a buyer which lead to business critical issues
- Insurers and Insured in relation to D&O policies and claims
- A large motor vehicle financier in successfully recovering a six figure shortfall under a guarantee when a large West Midlands dealer became insolvent.
'Stephen Dilley is a formidable litigator who deploys an iron fist in a velvet glove... He knows that the client wants and how to get there.... Stephen is without doubt the "go-to"'
'Very amiable and honest. He takes on board objectives and clearly sets out risks involved as part of strategy discussions.'
'Very committed to getting the best for his clients and going the extra mile to understand their commercial and personal drivers.'
'Brings a sense of calm capability to a case, underlying his talent and experience. He spots issues that others might miss.'
"A very good and practical lawyer."
"He cuts straight to the point and understands us very well."
"Excellent at managing relationships and approaching litigation with a common-sense perspective."
"Very experienced litigator who gets good results for his clients."
"Very experienced and knowledgeable partner dealing with insolvency and commercial litigation. He is very pleasant to deal with. His instructions are excellent. He also has great tactical awareness in relation to his cases."