Shaton Menzie focuses her practice on complex patent litigation before U.S. district courts, with an emphasis on strategically leveraging concurrent matters before district court and the Patent Trial and Appeal Board. In addition, Shaton regularly advises emerging businesses on trademark and copyright issues.
Shaton practices all aspects of patent law, with an emphasis on patent litigation in district courts, conducting proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB), and strategic client counseling. Her litigation practice includes conducting worldwide discovery efforts, managing pre-litigation investigations, analyzing patents and prior art from a technical standpoint, identifying validity and non-infringement arguments, preparing pleadings, motions, and briefs, working with expert witnesses, conducting depositions. As part of her client counseling practice, Shaton provides opinions on patentability, infringement, and validity of patents.
Shaton’s cases involve a wide range of technologies, many related to her prior academic training and work experience. Shaton’s technical experience includes wireless communication devices and systems, financial services technologies, computer network authentication and security software, data retrieval and archiving software, children’s safety devices, automotive components and devices, aerospace components and devices, computer architecture, consumer electronics, and various other Internet-based and computer-related technologies.
As a complement to her patent law practice, Shaton also advises emerging businesses on trademark, copyright, and general intellectual property law issues. She regularly lectures at legal and corporate seminars aimed at educating entrepreneurs, graduate students in the science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematic fields, fellow lawyers, and law students on the basics of intellectual property law and protecting relevant business, research, and creative assets. Shaton's pro bono experience includes representing veterans before the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veteran’s Claims.
Presentations and Publications
- The “Suite” Spot: Rendering Excellent Legal Advice to C-Suite Executives and In-House Counsel, Moderator — Leadership Institute for Women of Color in Law and Business Conference, March 29, 2019
- Diversity Day Debate on Affirmative Action, Panelist — Mercer University School of Law, April 4, 2018
- Are You Giving Business or Legal Advice? Ethics and Privilege Issues for In-House Attorneys, Moderator — Leadership Institute for Women of Color in Law and Business Conference, March 29, 2018
- IP Fundamentals: What Autonomous Vehicles Can Teach Us About the Business of Intellectual Property, Panelist — Georgia Association of Black Women Attorneys, August 10, 2017
- Contributor, What Beyonce's Coachella Performance Means to 19 Black Women From HBCUS and Black Greek Life, April 17, 2018
- Contributor, Five Tips for Achieving Work-Life Balance, American Bar Association Products Liability Litigation Committee, August 31, 2017
- Coauthor, Recovering Attorneys' Fees for AIA Proceedings, Bloomberg BNA, June 24, 2016
- Coauthor, New E.D. Tex. Procedural Hurdle for Early Alice‐Based Dispositive Motions, BNA's Patent, Trademark & Copyright Journal, September 25, 2015
Civic and Professional Activities
- Jack and Jill of America, Inc., Atlanta Chapter — Assistant Program Director, 2017-present; Bold Lips + Bow Ties Signature Fundraiser Ticketing Chair, 2016- present; Membership Co-Chair, 2015-2017; Grade Level Sponsor, 2015-2017
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Pi Alpha Omega Chapter
- Atlanta Women’s Foundation Inspire Atlanta Program — Graduate of the Inaugural Class, 2018
- Womble Bond Dickinson IP Content Committee Member
- State Bar of Georgia Committee to Promote Inclusion in the Legal Profession - Committee Co-Chair, 2018- present; Chair, Commitment to Equality Awards, 2017-2018; Committee Member, 2016- present
- Georgia Association of Black Women Attorneys - Co-Chair, Intellectual Property Law Section, 2017- present; Professional Development Academy Graduate, Fall 2017; Political Action Committee, 2016
- Leadership Institute for Women of Color Attorneys, Inc., 2019 Conference Logistics Chair, 2018- present; Conference Planning Committee, 2013-present
- National Bar Association, Commercial Law Section, 2014-present
- Gate City Bar Association, 2017-present
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, New Lawyers Committee Liaison to the Inter Partes Review Committee, 2014-2017
Honors and Awards
2018 Attorney to Watch, Atlanta Attorney(s) at Law Magazine
- Member of team filing a winning 12(b)(6) Motion to Dismiss the complaint under 35 U.S.C. § 101, arguing that the asserted patent was invalid and unpatentable (Parus Holdings, Inc. v. PNC Bank, NA & SunTrust Bank et al., 1:14-cv-01428, -1429, D. Del.; affirmed in PNC Bank, NA & SunTrust Bank et al., 2016-1180, -1181, Fed. Cir.)
- Member of team successfully achieving settlement of case involving wireless communication devices including speech codec technology allegedly claimed in standard-essential patents (Saint Lawrence Communications, LLC v. ZTE Co., 2:15-cv-00349, E.D. Tex.)