Russ Pope has more than 34 years of litigation experience with a focus on complex banking and consumer financial services cases, particularly class actions. He has represented Fortune 100 institutions as well as local and regional businesses in a variety of commercial and corporate litigation matters, both in the Mid-Atlantic area and in federal courts nationwide.
Before joining Treanor Pope & Hughes in 1992, he helped form the in-house litigation group at Maryland National Bank, where he represented the bank in a range of state and federal cases while also supervising other attorneys in that group.
In the community, Pope serves on the Board of Directors for Justice Ventures International, Inc., a non-profit organization that secures freedom and restoration for victims of human trafficking in India and China.
- Justice Ventures International, Inc., Board Chair
- Local Community Association, Board President
Honors and Awards
Super Lawyers Honoree, 2010 - 2019
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Obtained precedent-setting reversal in a case that created substantial nationwide loss exposure for mortgage lenders who offered broker compensation through the use of yield spread premiums.
- Successfully defeated class certification in dozens of federal and state court cases filed around the country.
- Directed global resolution of serial case filings in a single state that presented litigation, regulatory, and reputational risk to a large financial institution.
- Negotiated complex tax-driven settlement of hazardous waste litigation while simultaneously managing political and public relations challenges.