Michael is an Australian qualified lawyer in the Commercial Disputes and Regulatory team based in London. He has experience in a range of litigation and arbitration matters raising multi-jurisdictional and international law issues. In addition to private parties, Michael has acted for States and governmental entities.
Throughout his career, he has worked in Australia, Hong Kong, mainland China as well as a United Nations tribunal based in the Netherlands. In addition to English, Michael has a working knowledge of French, Spanish, Cantonese and Mandarin.
Outside practice, Michael is involved in the academic aspect of international arbitration. He coordinated updates for a leading treatise on commercial arbitration, and developed teaching materials in investor-state arbitration for tertiary institutions in Western Europe and North America. He also coaches two arbitration mooting teams at a London university.
Examples of experience include advising:
- An East Asian conglomerate in a construction dispute with a Central European chemicals manufacturer (LCIA arbitration)
- A Southeast Asian chemicals manufacturer in a construction dispute with Southeast Asian and Western European contractors (KLRCA/AIAC arbitration)
- A Middle Eastern energy service provider in an investment agreement dispute with a Western Caribbean midstream/downstream company (LCIA arbitration)
- A regional Middle Eastern Government in an oil and gas supply dispute with Middle Eastern contractors (LCIA arbitration)
- A Central American State in an LPG pricing dispute with Western European investors (ICSID arbitration)
- A West African bank in English High Court proceedings involving a finance facility dispute with South Asian borrowers
- A West African energy company in English High Court proceedings involving enforcement of an arbitral award against a West African State
- A North American energy company on corporate restructuring to optimise investment protections in two Middle Eastern States
- A North American venture capitalist on investment protection strategies in a Central American State
- An Australian educational institution in Australian court proceedings involving a claim of sovereign immunity by a Middle Eastern State