Michael is an Australian qualified lawyer in the Commercial Disputes and Regulatory team based in the London office. He has experience in a range of litigation and arbitration matters raising cross-jurisdictional and international law issues. In addition to private parties, Michael has acted for States and governmental entities. He also coordinated updates for the forthcoming edition of Gary Born's International Commercial Arbitration, one of the leading texts on arbitration.
Michael has previously worked in Australia, Hong Kong, China and the Netherlands. He is proficient in French, Spanish, Cantonese and Mandarin.
Examples of experience include advising:
- A regional Middle Eastern Government in an LCIA arbitration involving an oil and gas supply dispute with project contractors
- A Central American State in a Spanish-language ICSID arbitration involving an LPG pricing dispute with Western European investors
- A North American energy company on corporate restructuring to optimise investment protections in the Middle East
- An Australian educational institution to contest a claim of sovereign immunity by a Middle Eastern State
- An Australian publisher on the enforcement of civil court judgments between Australia and the US.