Mike Gencarella provides counsel on all aspects of intellectual property (IP) protection with an emphasis on patent prosecution. With 10+ years of industry experience and 20+ years of legal experience, Mike tailors his advice based on the business needs and budget requirements of the client he is representing and has provided counseling for pre-IPO startups, as well as multinational corporations.
Taking the approach that understanding the client’s business is imperative to provide quality service, Mike learns each client’s business first in order to apply legal strategies optimally. He also utilizes the insight gained from working as an engineer in the operations unit of a Fortune 100 company and a startup to serve his clients most effectively. Mike will learn your business first in order to apply legal strategies optimally.
Mike is fully versed on all aspects of international IP protection. He is highly experienced in building IP portfolios from “scratch” and in maintaining mature, valuable IP portfolios. Mike has mentored numerous law students and has been a guest lecturer at Silicon Valley law schools. As a member of the firm’s Management Committee, Mike has gained insight into the budgeting and regulatory aspect from a law firm perspective, which has enhanced his ability to provide solutions that are synchronized with corporate client needs and law firm regulations.
- Board Member, Volunteers in Motion
- Board Member, Santa Clara University Law School Alumni Board
Ranked in Chambers USA
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Helped build a “unicorn” and advises on management of its world-class IP portfolio (patents, trademarks and copyrights) from before the company went public through its initial public offering and thereafter.
- Provided a strategy and connected a stealth-mode client buying IP assets through IP broker contacts.
- Performed patent landscapes within a client’s area of operation in order to target the filing of patent applications in areas where limited patent activity was identified.
- Assisted Fortune 100 companies in maintaining and licensing a mature IP portfolio both domestically and internationally.
- Versed in all aspect of high tech with an extensive experience in software, Internet of Things, cloud architecture, programmable logic devices, video streaming, semiconductor processing, and medical devices.
- Devised and executed strategies to enable quick issuance of patent applications for small and large entities while minimizing costs.