Michael has experience working in-house across a range of organisations and sectors including aerospace & defence, manufacturing, mining & resources, research & development, charities and the public sector.
His strengths lie in his ability to fit into new teams quickly therefore having an almost immediate, positive impact on workloads, and being able to quickly identify specific legal challenges in order to make a valued contribution to the in house teams he supports.
Michael is experienced in working with cross-department teams on projects as a well as managing multi-disciplinary teams of other professionals on projects and bids to deliver work streams on time and within the agreed scope. This ability to work with and positively influence people across all levels of different organisations has ensured timely and efficient resolution across all matters he has managed.
He previously worked for an aerospace & defence company in Dorset supporting its commercial, bids and procurement functions and has also worked for a Russell Group University advising on matters of research funding, compliance and governance.
Prior to moving to the UK, he spent a decade working for an arms-length statutory body where he supported decision makers with merits reviews and advised clients in the Australian mining & resources sector where he supported newly formed SMEs and Charities by negotiating long term mining development agreements and establishing policies and procedures for implementation.
Examples of experience include:
- Eaton - advised and negotiated copyright, design, trade secret and know-how licensing strategy to protect client's market share within a regulated market
- Eaton - advised client on entry into foreign territories through the use of goodwill and trademark licensing and assessing risks associated with potential intermediaries
- University of Southampton - secured funding arrangements and establishing governance structures for research collaborations including establishing the "UKRI TAS Hub" for research into autonomous technologies
- Tjiwarl (Aboriginal Corporation) RNTBC - advised client on large mining development project with BHP Nickel West which included programs relating to Land Access, Cultural Heritage protections, education and establishing principles of the client's Charitable Trust
- Tjamu Tjamu (Aboriginal Corporation) RNTBC - advised client for the Lake Mackay Sulphate of Potash project with advice covering the statutory process for Environmental Protection approvals and dispute resolution with the proponent mining company.