Mike concentrates his practice on public and project finance. He represents lenders, investors, underwriters, issuers, borrowers, and other participants in taxable and tax-exempt transactions for infrastructure projects, including renewable energy, energy efficiency, manufacturing, transportation, and health and higher education facilities, among others. His experience includes public offerings and private placements of transactions that utilize state and local incentives, federal tax credits and other enhancements.
Mike devotes a substantial portion of his practice to structuring and negotiating energy efficiency and other renewable energy project financings, including projects under state and local government-sponsored programs, federal energy savings performance contract programs, and projects employing public private partnerships.
He also regularly counsels financial institutions and governmental entities in state and federal securities matters, federal and state tax controversy matters and other regulatory compliance matters.
- Contributor, Clean Energy for Resilient Communities: Expanding Solar Generation in Baltimore’s Low-Income Neighborhoods, Report Prepared for The Abell Foundation by Clean Energy Group, February 2014
- Speaker, Renewable Energy Bond Financing Tools, Council of Development Financing Agencies Introduction to Bond Finance Course, March 2012
- Speaker, Bond Financing Mechanisms for Public & Private Energy Projects, New York State Economic Development Council IDA Section Conference, January 2012
- Moderator, Conduit Nonprofit Transactions, Association for Governmental Leasing and Finance Fall Conference, November 2011
- Speaker, Sale-Leaseback Deficit Financing, Association for Governmental Leasing and Finance Fall Conference, November 2010
- Speaker, The Basics of Tax-Exempt Bond Financing, Council of Development Financing Agencies Fundamentals of Development Finance Workshop, June 2008
- Member, Maryland State Bar Association
- Member, National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Member, Association for Governmental Leasing and Finance
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Representation of tax equity investors in solar, wind and biomass energy projects utilizing federal investment tax credits.
- Representation of lenders in projects financed with qualified energy conservation bonds and clean renewable energy bonds.
- Representation of a developer for several financing transactions employing shared energy savings structures for the benefit of colleges and universities.
- Representation of an issuer in securitizations of municipal energy project financings.
- Representation of an underwriter in financing of a waste to energy project owned and operated by a public private partnership.