Mark is a deal lawyer focused on distressed or insolvent middle market companies and on acquirers of distressed assets. For 20 years, Mark has worked tirelessly for his clients to maximize value and obtain the best possible recovery in often-difficult situations. Clients know that they can rely on Mark for a prompt and practical response.
Mark acts primarily in bankruptcy court in Wilmington, Delaware for clients in retail, automotive, steel, manufacturing, telecommunications and energy sectors. Mark also has aggressively litigated issues in Delaware, Maryland and Virginia state and federal courts.
A Chambers USA-rated attorney, Mark has been described by peers as “excellent technically and very strategic in his way of approaching matters,” and commended as a “strong advocate for his clients.”
Managing Partner of the Wilmington office, Mark also is a member of Womble Bond Dickinson- US’s firm Management Committee and Chair of the Pro Bono Committee. He devotes his free time to Hope Lutheran Early Education Center, Volunteer Legal Services and other charitable organizations in the Mid-Atlantic region. In 2015, Mark received the Irving Carlyle Pro Bono Publico Award, recognizing his service protecting the rights of children in Delaware’s foster care system, US military veterans and domestic violence victims.
- Business Bankruptcy Law Update, American Bankruptcy Institute: Annual Spring Meeting, Washington D.C., April 16, 2016
- Six Traps for the Unwary in Smaller Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Cases, MDNC Chapter of the Federal Bar Association: 37th Annual Bankruptcy Seminar, Durham, NC, April 15, 2016
- What Keeps Lenders Up At Night When Looking North? Cross-Border Deal Issues And Cross-Border Insolvencies, Borden Ladner Gervais Financial Services Symposium: Legal Issues Related to Financing and Insolvency, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, September 18, 2015
- Fundamentals of Bankruptcy Litigation, SDNY and EDNY Chapters of the Federal Bar Association, New York, New York, June 24, 2015
- Operating Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Case Issues, American Bankruptcy Institute: Mid-Atlantic Bankruptcy Workshop, Cambridge, Maryland, August 8, 2013
- Bankruptcy Code Section 363: Navigating Your Company through Strategic Sales and Acquisition Transactions, Association of Corporate Counsel: DELVACCA 2nd Annual In-House Conference, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, May 6, 2010
- Bankruptcy Licensees and Licensors: Strategies for IP License Enforcement, Strafford Publications, On-Line Seminar, May 27, 2009
- Federal Bar Association, Past Chair Bankruptcy Section, Current Member of Board of Directors of the FBA Bankruptcy Section
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member
- Turnaround Management Association, Member
- Pro bono attorney for victims in protection from abuse cases
- Board Member, Delaware Volunteer Legal Services
- Board Member, Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, Delaware Man & Woman of the Year Campaign
- Board Member, Hope Lutheran Early Education Center
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America
- Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- Recipient of Womble Carlyle's Irving Carlyle Pro Bono Publico Award
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Counsel for foreign representative for Axios Logistics Solutions, Inc., and its affiliates in crossborder insolvency proceeding filed under Chapter 15 of the US Bankruptcy Code in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware.
- Counsel for foreign representative for Thane International, Inc., and its affiliates in crossborder insolvency proceeding filed under Chapter 15 of the US Bankruptcy Code in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware.
- Lead counsel for the liquidating trustee in bankruptcy cases filed by Goody’s Family Clothing, Inc., a significant department store chain, in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware.
- Lead counsel for a significant snack food industry client and its subsidiaries in connection with Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases and prepackaged plan filed in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware.
- Lead counsel for a publicly traded retailer in purchase of intellectual property assets from debtors in large retail Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware and separately in state court insolvency proceeding in Florida.