Lou Isaf works to build long-standing client relationships. Clients hire Lou because he is responsive to the unique needs of each, he thoroughly attends to details, and he stays in touch. Clients also find valuable the depth of his knowledge regarding many IP related problems they face. With a career spanning more than four decades, Lou has provided strategic advice relating to all aspects of intellectual property development, procurement, market protection and commercialization. As a lawyer, engineer, registered patent attorney and trusted advisor, Lou had deep experience analyzing complex patent portfolios, assessing infringement and validity of patents, resolving patent conflicts and developing intellectual property strategies both domestically and internationally.
Lou advises on M&A diligence, on IP aspects of SEC compliance, and on IP asset ownership. He leads patent preparation and prosecution teams in the creation of companycritical patent portfolios for businesses ranging from startups to multinational entities.
Lou has a special interest in and focus on international protection of intellectual property, and enjoyed a multi-year assignment in Munich, Germany, where he advised both US and European clients.
- Member, Georgia Bar Association, Computer Law and Intellectual Property Law Sections
- Member, Atlanta Intellectual Property Inn of Court
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© in the fields of Copyright Law, Patent Law, 2014 – Present
- Named to Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) magazine's Patent 1000, 2013 - 2015
- Named a Leading Lawyer in Intellectual Property by Chambers USA Client's Guide, 2010 – 2011
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Conceived and implemented strategic US patent portfolio for European equipment manufacturer to counter both market actions and patent actions of known, aggressive competitor.
- Successfully navigated US equipment manufacturer’s US and European patent portfolio through ten years of inventorship and ownership challenges.
- Led corporate client’s strategy to create, grow, assert and maintain international patent and trademark portfolios, collaboratively working with the CEO and GC to consistently remain within budget over a 20-year timeframe.
- Effectively, launched and completed three-year affiliated law firm operation in Munich, Germany.