Lorena is an Associate in our Commercial Disputes & Regulatory team. She has experience in advising clients in relation to a broad range of contentious matters including a wide range of contractual disputes.
Lorena also advises on regulatory and compliance issues in areas including sanctions, environment and education, in addition to assisting with the drafting of Government guidance and advising clients on the same where disputes have arisen. She has experience of advising clients on judicial review and defamation matters.
Prior to joining Womble Bond Dickinson in February 2022, Lorena specialised in areas of financial crime, including financial regulatory work and anti-money laundering, but primarily focusing on financial sanctions.
Examples of experience include:
- Advising a university and a local authority in public procurement challenges to the outcomes of tender processes
- Advising local authorities on bringing and defending judicial review proceedings
- Advising a school in relation to disability discrimination claims brought by parents of students
- Advising clients on the impact of sanctions on their business operations and advising on compliance
- Advising an insurance client on criminal investigations and prosecutions involving an insured
- Advising clients operating in a variety of sectors on the interpretation of contractual clauses
- Advising central Governmental departments on sensitive investigations and/or challenges to decision-making
- Advising a local authority on a contractual dispute involving a claim worth circa. £2 million
- Assisting a chemical company on a chemical spillage incident, including advising on the internal investigation, strategy with regards to correspondence with regulatory bodies and advising on reporting obligations under the permit
- Advising a waste management company on an incident involving hazardous waste landfill, including advising on responses to the Environmental Agency and Health and Safety Executive, in addition to advising on and drafting an enforcement undertaking a chemical company on its legal obligations in terms of emission limits and its potential breaches of permit conditions, including strategy with regards to remediation
- Advising a holiday park operator on issues involving drainage connection and its liability regarding the discharge of foul water into the water system, including advising on: (i) sewage undertakers powers (in addition to strategy related to correspondence with wastewater collection companies); and (ii) the conduct of the internal investigation.