Kurt Lindquist is a highly trusted advisor who helps clients with dispute resolution issues in the United States and around the world. A highly experienced trial lawyer, clients come to Kurt for advice and assistance in resolving conflicts concerning commercial matters including licensing agreements, supplier agreements, noncompetition agreements misappropriation of trade secrets as well as public law issues concerning claims of expropriation and breaches of bilateral investment treaties.
Kurt regularly participates as an advocate in international disputes and as an advocate and arbitrator in domestic arbitrations. Growing his practice along with the booming global economy, Kurt has been asked to and has represented some of the largest commercial manufacturers (both private and public) in the world in commercial arbitrations venued in Frankfurt, Geneva, Paris, New York, Singapore, Washington DC and Zurich. Kurt has represented foreign sovereigns in international investment disputes and he has represented clients in arbitral regimes including: the International Chamber of Commerce (“ICC”); International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (“ICSID”); the Permanent Court of Arbitration (“PCA”); the Swiss Chambers Arbitration Institution (“SCAI”); and, the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (“SIAC”).
Here is what companies had to say about Kurt in a Gallup engagement survey where he was ranked in the top one percent of lawyers surveyed in terms of substantive knowledge, experience, client service, and client satisfaction:
- “Kurt is one of the top litigators in the country”
- “Kurt is a superior lawyer, bright and innovative”
- “Exceeds expectations and we appreciated his effort on our behalf”
- “Kurt is a trusted advisor who is highly skilled and very good at what he does”
- “We appreciated his commitment to our book of business”
Civic and Professional Activities
- Board of Directors, Charlotte International Arbitration Society (2015 - present)
- International Law Section (NCBA): Chairman, Outgoing Exchange Committee (2015 - 2018); Councilor (2015-present)
- Board of Trustees, Woodlawn School, Davidson, NC (2015 - present)
- Board of Advisors, Wake Forest School of Business, Charlotte Campus (2012 - 2018)
- Board of Visitors, Wake Forest University School of Law (2010 - 2012)
- Alumni Council, Wake Forest University School of Law (2007 - 2009)
- Board of Directors, Children’s Theatre of Charlotte (2009 - 2015)
- Board of Advisors, Meredith College Paralegal Program (1990 -1993)
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association
Presentations and Publications
- Speaker, "Recent Developments in Investor/State Arbitrations" Lex Mundi, Asia Pacific Regional Meeting, Kyoto Japan, April 2019
- Speaker, “Show me the Money” – a discussion of damages and the technology utilized to demonstrate damages in International Arbitrations, 7th Annual AtlAS Conference, Atlanta, Georgia, November 2018.
- Guest Speaker, Wake Forest University School of Law, International Law Society, Presentation on International Arbitration Practice and Procedure, October, 2018.
- Co-Author, Expedited / Fast Track Procedures in International Arbitration, 10th Bienneial Arbitration Symposium, June 2018, Salzburg, Austria.
- Brief Grader, Willem C. Vis International Commercial Moot, Vienna, Austria, March 2017.
- Arbitrator, Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot, Hong Kong, March 2016.
- Speaker, “Smooth Sailing: Negotiating, drafting and revising the arbitration clause with a view toward enforcement, sample clauses, selecting the right seat and choosing the right rules, limitations on the ability to contract for arbitration.” 4th Annual AtlAS Conference, Atlanta, Georgia, November 2015.
- Guest Speaker, Wake Forest University School of Law, International Arbitration, Presentation of Recent Developments in International Arbitration, November 2015.
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers Honoree, 2011, 2017 - 2019
- Business North Carolina's Legal Elite
- Lexology Client Choice Award, Litigation (North Carolina) 2018
- Acritas Star (Based on client feedback) 2019
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represented the government of the Lao People’s Democratic Republic against alleged $1 billion dollar expropriation claim under the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (“ICSID”). The government settled the investment claims with claimant without payment. Claimant filed a material breach application of the settlement within one month of the settlement. The merits of claimant’s application took place in April 2015, where all claims were dismissed and the settlement remained in force.
- Prosecuted a breach of contract case and defended against counter-claims valued by respondents at up to $500 million. The case fell under the auspices of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre, with the merits hearing being held in February 2017.
- Obtained a $31 million award in an international arbitration administered by the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) convened in Frankfurt on behalf of a German truck parts supplier. The award included all attorneys’ fees, interest and costs.
- Successfully defended the partnership in a joint venture dispute regarding manufacture and technical collaboration agreements between German and Japanese producers in the tire industry in an ICC arbitration venued in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Successfully filed and managed confirmation of foreign award under the New York Convention in US District Court for Massachusetts
- Successfully defended and defeated $100 million claim and then maintained and obtained significant settlement of multi-million dollar counterclaims regarding defective automotive electronic components manufactured by a multi-national company in the North Carolina Business Court.
- Successfully upheld denial of preliminary injunction in the US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit regarding allegations of misappropriation of trade secrets and breach of non-competition and confidentiality agreements.
- Successfully defended the largest hosiery manufacturer in Europe in a breach of contract action in which the plaintiff claimed damages exceeding $600 million and successfully upheld client’s acquisition and purchase of third largest textile manufacturer in the US.
- Successfully defended Hong Kong and English multi-national in US District Court for the Western District of North Carolina.
- Successfully defended US company against foreign judgment under North Carolina Foreign Judgment Enforcement and Collection Act.
- Successfully arbitrated in Chicago supplier claims against buyer consequent to breach of a master supply agreement by buyer – a multi-national company.
- Successfully protected an American manufacturer under the Uniform Foreign Judgments Act against inflated claims by foreign distributor of product in Latin America.