Kelly Jones is an experienced litigator who is 100% driven and committed to obtaining the best result for her clients. Kelly understands client objectives and their desire to achieve legal solutions that make good business sense. She works with a wide array of companies and product manufacturers to achieve their individual goals, while providing trusted, cost-effective counsel and management.
As a partner in the Mass Torts Practice Team with more than 15 years of experience handling cases across the US, Kelly has successfully tried high profile matters to jury verdict in state and federal courts. She has worked on class actions, toxic tort and asbestos litigation, product liability cases, catastrophic events with significant personal injuries, and various multi-district litigation.
Kelly helps lead the firm’s Catastrophic Event team, which is highly regarded for their skill and experience in providing emergency response needs for clients involved in explosions, fires, chemical or other toxic releases/exposures, natural disasters, OSHA and other governmental investigations, as well as construction worksite events. An important part of her practice is assisting clients with respect to inspections, investigations and enforcement actions involving the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board (CSB), the DOJ, and other federal, state and local regulators. The team often manages the full range of litigation against OSHA, including appeals of citations, negotiations of settlements geared to minimize the impact of enforcement actions on wrongful death and personal injury civil cases, and hearings before the OSH Review Commission.
Representative clients include construction companies, top brand product manufacturers and sellers, propane/natural gas companies, chemical manufacturers, and medical device companies. Kelly also assists clients with risk management and litigation avoidance, and has conducted training seminars for client representatives and their distributors.
- 10th Judicial District Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- Defense Research Institute
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Trial and discovery counsel for international manufacturer of construction materials in mass tort and class action litigation across the US, including
- Represented large national propane company in high profile matter involving explosion/fire at client’s regional LPG facility, a major news event that involved multiple burn victims, significant property damage, and destruction of thousands of LPG containers. Catastrophic event team brought in within 24 hours of event and conducted company investigation into the incident including cause and origin, and coordinated interactions with investigating agencies including OSHA, ATFE, EPA, state fire marshal, state department of agriculture, US CSB, local police, fire and emergency responders. Continued representation in contentious litigation with OSHA, and multiple personal injury lawsuits.
- Defended golf related product manufacturing plant in claims brought by injured worker amputee alleging multiple safety deficiencies and violations of OSHA regulations.
- Counsel for large commercial scaffolding company in OSHA and personal injury matters arising from a scaffolding collapse at a high rise construction work site which resulted in multiple fatalities.
- Represented owners of large vacation home in OBX in a personal injury deck/railing collapse matter. Case involved alleged wood rot/deterioration at a multi-million dollar property. Plaintiff, who plunged from a high deck, claimed significant back, leg and genitalia injuries and wife’s loss of consortium. Successfully worked-up difficult contributory negligence case and case settled for nominal amount just prior to trial.
- Large international food processing plant explosion involving 4 fatalities and dozens of seriously injured/burned workers- represented manufacturer of critical component used in natural gas/propane systems in the wrongful death and personal injury litigation. Retained during litigation to prepare cases for trial, including workup of industry experts. Successfully changed the pace and climate of the litigation. Negotiated favorable settlement in the multi-plaintiff litigation matters and obtained outright dismissals in other wrongful death cases.
- Represented hazardous waste client in emergency response, class action litigation, personal injury and property damage lawsuits stemming from explosion (with resulting plumes and evacuations) at client’s hazardous waste storage facility. The matter received considerable local and national media coverage. Conducted company investigation into incident, coordinated interactions with investigating authorities (CSB, DNR, DEQ, etc.), in addition to defense of class action and other personal injury and property damage matters.