Silicon Valley innovation requires superior Intellectual Property protection, which is why some of the Valley’s most innovative companies entrust their IP to Joseph Bach. These companies appreciate Joseph’s ability to comprehend highly technical matters and tailor a strategy to fit their budgets and business goals.
Joseph has invested a third of his career as an in-house attorney with Applied Materials, Inc., and, having been a law-firm client himself, he easily relates to the needs of the clients he now serves. Joseph’s ability to add value to start-up clients stems from his experience as co-founder of a start-up company and his service as an adviser to SilicomVentures and Precision Medicine World Conference.
Joseph also has experience in patent litigation, primarily representing defendants accused of patent infringement. He also has served as an expert consultant in patent litigation.
Joseph regularly engages in patent opposition at the European Patent Office, having represented both proprietors and opposers in EPO patent opposition proceedings. He has written and presented extensively on IP protection in Mainland China and represents both domestic Chinese companies and foreign companies doing business there.
Presentations and Publications
- Developing Technology Transfer Program, Seoul, Korea 2017
- Introduction to Federal Regulation of Mobile Health Technology, Personalized Medicine World Conference 2013, Herzelia, Israel, July 2013
- The Foreign Law Firm Conference, Intellectual Property Panel, Tel Aviv, Israel, June 2013
- Doing Business in the US: Strategies for Defending Patent Lawsuits, The 7th Optics Valley of China International Optoelectronic Exposition and Conference, Wuhan, China, November 2010
- Intellectual Property in China, Doing Business in China Seminar, Nixon Peabody, Rochester, NY, November 2010
- Clean In, Green Out: Responsible Solar Technology, The 4th International Solar Cities World Congress, Dezhou, China, September 2010
- Technology Strategies in China: Intellectual Property Consideration, Guest Lecturer EE 402A, Topics in International Technology Management, Stanford University, October 2009
- The Role of Intellectual Property in Enhancing Company’s Business Strategy, Silicom Ventures International Summit, June 2008
- Patent Pending: IP Workshop, Silicom Ventures International Summit, June 2008
- Working with Management on IP Strategy, Association of In-House IP Managers, October 2007
- Alignment of IP Strategies, AIPLA Online Seminar, July 2007
- Intellectual Property – A Competitive Weapon, January 2007
- Patent Mock Trial, Seoul Korea and Bo’ao China, November 2006
- Intellectual Property and Counterfeits in China, Guest Lecturer EE 402A, Intellectual Property Management for Technology Business in Asia, Stanford University, October 2006
- Investment and Entrepreneurship In The Global Village: Infrastructure, Enablers and Accelerators, International Summit, June 2006
- Patent Trolls: What They Are and Why They Exist, Corporate Counsel’s Guide to Software, Internet * Telecom Patents, May 2006
- Patent Valuations: Bridging Matters of Finance and Law, Corporate Intellectual Property in China Conference, April 2006
- U.S.P.T.O. Proposed Rulemaking, Korean Intellectual Property Office, February 2006
- Engaging Asia For Present and Future Growth, Japan Export Trade Organization, January 2006
- U.S. Patent Practice, Industrial Technology Research Institute, March 2005
- Enforcing Intellectual Property Rights: Understanding The Cultures, Glasser Legal Works, May 2005
- Semiconductor Fabrication Technology, Applied Physics Class, Caltech, Fall 2004
- Intellectual Property Valuation, Glasser Legal Works, October 2004
- Semiconductor Fabrication Technology, Applied Physics Class, Caltech, Fall 2003
- From Sand To Cellphones: Applied Materials Place in The Information Age, USPTO, Crystal City, VA, July 2003
- Semiconductor Fabrication Technology, USPTO, Crystal City, VA, July 2002
- In-House IP Protector: Keeping the Aim on a Moving Target, Science & Technology Law Center, July 2002
- The Taiwan IP Court – Effective and Efficient, Intellectual Property Law and International Trade Law, Law 360 (2009)
- Strategies for IP Protection in China, International IP Issues and Strategies, Inside the Minds Book Series, Aspatore Books (2008)
- Building and Managing an Effective IP Portfolio, The Best Practices of Leading IP Lawyers, Inside the Minds Book Series, Aspatore Books (2007)
- The Tailgate that Wagged the Car Company, IP Focus: China, Managing Intellectual Property, London, UK (2007)
- Patent Law of the Russian Federation, International Review of Industrial Property and Copyright Law, Munich, Germany (1995)
Advisory Board, Silicom Ventures, LLC
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
Joseph's areas of technical experience include:
- materials, equipment and processes involved in fabrication of semiconductor chips, solar cells and LEDs (Si, SiC, CVD, PVD, Etch, Implant, etc);
- light and particle optics and instruments (Bright and Dark field, SEM, spectrometry, etc);
- chip testing and debugging (LIT, emission microscopy, nanoprobe, etc);
- night vision;
- wired and wireless communications;
- antenna design;
- computing and mobile platforms software and hardware;
- computing storage;
- sensor devices and automotive.