For more than 30 years Johnny Loper has earned the trust of clients all over the country by recognizing that in addition to knowing his way around a courtroom, the litigator must understand his client’s business and business problems. No one solution fits all cases, so clients need a lawyer who will fashion a situation-specific strategy to resolve the matter on their terms. Johnny has built his practice on these principles – that each business, each problem, each lawsuit is unique – and strategically tailoring his representation to most quickly and efficiently achieve the client’s desired outcome.
Johnny has represented clients as diverse as national financial services institutions, Chinese chemical manufacturers, a conservancy trust, family charitable trusts, plaintiffs in wrongful death cases, multiple national insurance carriers, a Taiwanese PVC pipe manufacturer, a national network of HVAC businesses, individuals harmed by Ponzi schemes, corporations in shareholder dissent matters, dental service organizations, professional licensing boards, and licensed professionals before their licensing boards.
Post-trial jury interviews have shown that juries trust Johnny, and by extension, his clients. Judges appreciate him as an effective oral advocate. As a result, Johnny has been recognized as a “Best Lawyer” in multiple disciplines, including bet-the-company commercial litigation, banking and finance litigation, and trust and estates litigation. He has been named to North Carolina’s Legal Elite, and has been “Lawyer of the Year” for Raleigh four times, in three different areas of practice: Trust and Estates Litigation for 2016; Administrative/Regulatory Law for 2017; Litigation – Banking and Finance for 2018, and again for Administrative/Regulatory Law for 2019. He also is a Litigation Counsel of America Fellow.
Internal to the firm, his partners elected him to the firm’s US management committee for multiple terms, and he served almost 10 years as managing partner of the Raleigh office.
- South North Carolina Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Public Information Committee, Administration of Justice Task Force
- Public Speakers Bureau
- North Carolina State Bar Young Lawyers Division
- Law Day Moot Court Committee
- 10th Judicial District Bar Association
- Mississippi Bar Association (inactive)
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© in the fields of Litigation - Banking and Finance, Litigation - Trusts and Estates, Commercial Litigation, Bet-the-Company Litigation, Administrative / Regulatory Law, 2005 – Present
- Super Lawyers Honoree, 2006 – 2019
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Successfully defended major national bank in a $200M+ breach of contract and defamation case at trial and appeal in the Fourth Circuit.
- Successfully defended multi-national corporation against “successor liability” claim brought under the Washington DC Human Rights Act in the District Court of D.C.
- Obtained a significant plaintiff’s verdict in a wrongful death case over a finding of contributory negligence (normally a complete bar to recovery in North Carolina).
- Defended national bank in a class action brought under North Carolina “predatory lending” statute, as well for usury and unfair trade practices, and obtained a favorable settlement.
- Defended Taiwan-owned pipe manufacturing company in a lawsuit alleging 13 miles of pipe installed in town’s drinking water system was defective, and obtained a very favorable settlement.