As the Leader of Womble Carlyle’s Business Immigration Solutions practice group, Jennifer Cory navigates the complexities of U.S. immigration law to design efficient, effective visa routes for her clients, who include educators, entrepreneurs, executives, innovators, and investors in key industry sectors such as academia, automotive, financial, manufacturing, pharmaceutical, and technology. Her comprehensive guidance ensures that companies and individuals alike understand and comply with the web of multiple and often confusing regulations that govern the authorized employment and status of non-citizens.
Jennifer’s clients contribute to all aspects of everyday life. They develop and manufacture versatile and cutting-edge products used in our homes, vehicles, and work environments, conduct research and development that ensures the safety of the prescriptions that keep us healthy and train the minds of the next generation of globally-oriented citizens.
Certified as a Specialist in Immigration Law by the North Carolina State Bar, included in Best Lawyers in America, and selected for the International Who’s Who of Corporate Immigration Lawyers, Jennifer is a locally, nationally, and globally recognized expert.
Presentations and Publications
- Are You Feeling Lucky? Insight for Employers Submitting H-1B Visa Petitions, The Employers Association, March, 2017
- Can The U.S. Remain Competitive In The Global Marketplace?, Greater Charlotte Biz, August/September, 2015
- Co-Author, Increasing the Efficiency and Profitability of Your Practice, AILA 2015 Annual Conference Handbook Immigration Practice Pointers, June, 2015
- What to Consider Before Hiring a Foreign National, Greater Charlotte Biz, October, 2014
- USCIS Immigrant Investor Program EB-5: Coming To America For A Price, Greater Charlotte Biz, June, 2014
- Editor, AILA 2011 Midyear Conference Handbook It’s the Economy, Stupid! The Impact of the Economy on Business Immigration, January, 2011
- Employers Should Take a Lesson from Boy Scouts and ‘Be Prepared’ for Immigration Audits, NC Lawyer’s Weekly, March 22, 2010
- A 2018 Immigration Forecast – What You Should Know About Anticipated Changes on the Horizon, North Carolina Independent Colleges and Universities, January 2018
- E-Verify Overview, Webinar Co-presenter, October 2017
- What Does It Mean?! Making Sense of Recent Immigration-Related Tweets and Announcements, Association of Corporate Counsel, Compliance and Ethics Committee Meeting, September 2017
- Who’s Eyeing Your Forms I-9?, Webinar Co-presenter, August 2017"Increasing the Efficiency and Profitability of Your Practice", AILA Annual Conference, June 2015
- Immigration Update for Employers, The Employers Association, June 2015
- Beyond OPT, University of North Carolina - Charlotte, February 2015
- Everything You Need to Know: I-9 Compliance and E-Verify, Mecklenburg County Bar, April 2014
- Strategies for Maintaining Status, AILA Georgia-Alabama Chapter 2nd Annual Conference, March, 2014
- Current Issues Breakfast, The Employer’s Association, February 2013
- Cross Training - Why Every Lawyer Needs to Know About Immigration Law, Mecklenburg County Bar Association Continuing Legal Education, December 2012
- Immigration Update: Post-Election Review, The Employer’s Association, January 2009
- U.S. Business Immigration Issues, Sterling Education, November 2008
- Exposing the Dilemma, An Educational Forum on the Moral and Legal Complexities of Immigration, St. Gabriel’s Catholic Church, October 2008
- E-Verify Update, The Employer’s Association, October 2008
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association International Law and Practice Section Council Member and Immigration Committee Co-Chair
- Mecklenburg County Bar
- Florida Bar
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- 2017 Co-Chair Nominations Committee, Women Lawyers of Charlotte
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© in the field of Immigration Law, 2013 - Present
- NC Board Certified Immigration Law Specialist
- International Who’s Who of Corporate Immigration Lawyers
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Developed a centralized immigration process for one of the world’s top automotive suppliers headquartered in Germany, which improved its ability to transfer a high volume of key employees quickly and economically to locations across the U.S.
- Facilitated work authorization for hundreds of Canadian-based Clinical Research Associates to conduct site monitoring visits on behalf of a preeminent multinational health information technology and clinical research provider.
- Obtained blanket approval for a Hong Kong global education services provider enabling it to now transfer talent to the U.S. without first acquiring pre-clearance State-side.
- Conducted onsite internal compliance audits for a leading grocery retailer’s East Coast distribution centers, protecting the client from hundreds of thousands of dollars in potential fines.
- Assisted cutting-edge Taiwanese clinical researcher in regenerative medicine and tissue engineering obtain permanent residence.