Jasper is a member of Womble Bond Dickinson's Corporate and Securities practice group, where he heads the firm's Energy and Natural Resources Oil and Gas Subsector. He has experience representing exploration and production companies and private equity clients on acquisitions, divestitures, and joint ventures involving upstream and midstream oil and gas assets. Additionally, Jasper has represented clients in matters as diverse as tendering bids for contracts to supply oilfield service equipment in the CIS, acquiring OCS leases in the Deepwater Gulf of Mexico, and attracting investors and industry partners to co-develop acreage on state-owned lands in Alaska. He has assisted clients ranging from individual investors to national oil companies.
Jasper is Board Certified in Oil, Gas and Mineral Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. He serves as Past Chair of the Houston Bar Association Oil, Gas & Mineral Law Section, and teaches Oil & Gas Law as an adjunct professor at the University of Houston Law Center. He has served as AIPN secretary and as a member of the board of directors, and co-chaired the AIPN’s 2014 Spring Conference. Jasper is also a member of the Texas Bar College and a Life Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation.
Presentations and Publications
- Speaker, Texas Bar CLE “Changing Face of Water Law” conference, “Produced Water: Interaction with Oil & Gas Issues,” San Antonio, February 2020.
- 2019 Institute for Energy Law Doing Deals: Energy Transactions for Young Energy Professionals Conference; “Due Diligence in Oil and Gas Asset Acquisitions.” Houston, Texas.
- 2019 Institute for Energy Law 70th Annual Oil & Gas Law Conference; “Regulatory and Legal Issues Relating to Federal Lands (Onshore and Offshore).” Houston, Texas.
- 2018 State Bar of Texas 36th Annual Advanced Oil, Gas and Energy Resources Law; “What Oil & Gas Lawyers Need to Know About Securities Laws.” Houston, Texas.
- 2018 Houston Bar Association; “Regulatory and Legal Issues Relating to Federal Lands (Onshore and Offshore).” Houston, Texas.
- 2018 University of Texas School of Law/OGERL Fundamentals of Oil, Gas & Mineral Law; “Perfection and Recording: Practical Title Issues.” Houston, Texas.
- 2017 Houston Bar Association, Oil, Gas and Mineral Law Section; “We Are All Securities Lawyers Now – Texas Blue Sky and Federal Securities Laws as to Oil and Gas Investments.” Houston, Texas.
- 2015-19 Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation International Oil & Gas Law, Contracts, and Negotiations; “Overview of International Oil & Gas Issues and International Project Development Risks.” Houston, Texas.
- 2015 Association of International Petroleum Negotiators Spring Conference; “Wildcatters: Survival in a Big Dollar Industry.” The Woodlands, Texas.
- 2014 Association of International Petroleum Negotiators Spring Conference; “E&P Hotspots – International Developments.” New York, New York.
- 2013 Association of International Petroleum Negotiators Spring Conference; “Non-conventional Host Country Instruments.” Austin, Texas.
- “Trespass By Fracking: Pennsylvania Court Weighs In,” Law360, April 20, 2018 (co-authored with L. Poe Leggette).
- “Perfection and Recording: JOAs, the UCC, and “I Did What via Email?,” April 2018.
- “Updated Survey of Texas Law on Horizontal Drilling and Subsurface Trespass,” Oil, Gas & Energy Resources Law Section of the State Bar of Texas Section Report, Vol. 42, No. 3 - Spring 2018 (co-authored with Ray Whitman).
- “Offshore Objections: 3 Reasons for scrapping BOEM Rules,” North American Oil & Gas Pipelines, April 2017 (co-authored with L. Poe Leggette).
- “The Political and Economic Effects of U.S. Shale Oil and Natural Gas,” Republic of South Korea Diplomatic Journal for Global Energy Cooperation, Summer 2015.
Honors and Awards
- Board Certified in Oil, Gas and Mineral Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Recognized as a Rising Star, Texas Super Lawyers magazine (Thompson Reuters), 2019, 2021
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represented privately held exploration and production company in $58,000,000 acquisition of oil/gas producing leases in the Permian Basin of Texas (state and private ownership of minerals).
- Represented 88 Energy Ltd (ASX: 88E.AX) in acquisition of 67 state-lands leases covering ~475,000 acres in Alaska bid round, and subsequent farm-out process.
- Represented privately held exploration and production company in acquisition of oil/gas producing leases in northeast Wyoming.
- Represented privately held exploration and production company in acquisition of oil/gas producing leases and prospective acreage in Madison County, Texas, and in subsequent farm-out agreement.
- Represented privately held exploration and production company in acquisition of oil/gas producing leases and productive acreage in Leon County, Texas.
- Represented Rosehill Resources Inc. in an acreage exchange and multi-well farm-out transaction involving Permian Basin assets.
- Represented Chisholm Energy, LLC in its acquisition of Permian Basin assets.
- Represented Occidental Petroleum Corp. (NYSE: OXY) and certain of its affiliates in its $3 billion upstream joint venture with a subsidiary of Ecopetrol SA, covering 97,000 net acres in the Midland Basin.
- Represented Encino Acquisition Partners in its $2.0 billion acquisition of Utica Shale oil and gas assets, which includes 900,000 acres of producing and non-producing leasehold, from affiliates of Chesapeake Energy Corporation (NYSE: CHK).
- Represented of EnerVest, Ltd., on behalf of certain institutional partnerships, in its approximately $2.7 billion business combination with TPG Pace Energy Holdings Corp. (NYSE: TPGE).
- Represented an international exploration and production company in its exchange of several deep-water blocks in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Represented southwest African national oil company in offshore license round preparation and implementation, and in subsequent negotiations of ancillary contracts with successful bidders.