Companies rely on David Carter to guide them in Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) compliance matters and to defend them against allegations of TCPA violations. He has represented both closely held and publicly traded companies facing TCPA claims with potential liability in excess of $500 million. David runs the TCPA Defense Force whose mission is to reduce TCPA risk, allowing companies to communicate with consumers responsibly and without fear of legal consequences.
In addition, David counsels technology companies and telecom carriers through a range of business disputes, often against entrenched incumbents and involving new business models and service offerings. As an experienced litigation attorney, David represents carriers in both state and federal courts, as well as before the Federal Communications Commission and state regulatory agencies. His clients include international as well as domestic telecom companies.
Prior to joining Womble Bond Dickinson, David founded Innovista Law in 2014. He started his law career at Womble Carlyle.
Civic and Professional Activities
- George Mason University, Former Chair, Board of Social Innovation
- Intercarrier Compensation Reforms on the Horizon, Federal Communications Bar Association, December 2018
- The Most Significant TCPA Developments of 2018 & TCPA Risk Mitigation Planning for 2019, Contact Center Compliance Annual TCPA Compliance Summit, December 2018
- The TCPA Landscape: Curtailing Compliance Hurdles in 2018 and Beyond, The Knowledge Group, August 2018
- Repositioning Your TCPA Strategy in a Post-ACA World, TCPA Defense Force and Contact Center Compliance Webinar, May 2018
- TCPA Compliance Burden Amidst Increased Litigation: Key Developments You Should Know, The Knowledge Group Webinar, November 2017
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers Honoree, 2019
- Named as winner of "Leading Telecommunications Litigation Legal Advisor of the Year," by Global Business Insights Awards
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Serves as lead counsel in representing US investors in a Mexican telecommunications company in claims valued at nearly $500 million brought under Chapter 11 of NAFTA.
- Serves as lead counsel in representing competitive telecommunications carriers in claims against long-distance carriers for unpaid intercarrier compensation.
- Served as lead counsel in representing a minority member of an LLC in claims against the LLC and its directors for breach of operating agreement, breach of contract, and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Served as lead counsel in representing managing members of an LLC in claims against a minority member for breach of the duty of loyalty and violation of non-compete provisions, resulting in a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction.
- Served as lead counsel in representing the CEO of a foreign subsidiary against the international parent company for claims of breach of employment contract and shareholder agreement.