Ewen is a legal director and leads the firm's nationally-recognised alcohol licensing and gambling practice.
He also heads up the firms Hospitality and Leisure sector. Ewen represents clients across the United Kingdom in both England and Wales as well as in Scotland. Ewen acts for a wide range of multi-site operators in the hospitality and leisure industry from hotel and bar operators, national off-sales retailers, cinemas, bowling alleys and theatres as well as retaining his links with the gaming industry, continuing to act for the Gala Coral Group bingo and betting office operations where he was Group Legal Counsel for seven years.
He has also advised on line and remote gaming operators who wish to trade with customers in the United Kingdom. Ewen is a member of the Institute of Licensing and the Gambling Industry Lawyers’ Group and is Consultant Editor of Licensing Law Reports. Ewen has Higher Rights qualifications as a Solicitor Advocate.
- Hilton Hotels – contested application for significant extension to landmark hotel in a stress area within Westminster. Application granted following an appearance before the licensing sub-committee
- Coral Racing Limited – numerous contested applications across England and Wales for new (and variation of existing) licences where issues of primary gambling, clustering and crime and disorder were successfully argued away with all applications being granted
- Judicial Review acting for a trade association in connection with landmark proceedings brought under the Gambling Act 2005 in relation to primary gambling activity the requirement to provide facilities for betting within licensed betting offices
- Applications for motorway service operators obtaining on- and off-licences across their estates in the England and Wales
- Representing a national cinema operator in relation to proceedings in Scotland to permit the sale and consumption of alcohol within the cinema auditoria. The application was granted not withstanding representations from the police, resulting in the operator's first cinema in Scotland to permit his activity
- Making new applications and variation applications for existing permissions
- Appearing before Licensing Committees and Boards on contested applications in relation to new, and variations of existing, liquor and gambling licences
- Conversion of liquor and gambling premises' licences to new legislation
- Applications for large and small casinos under the Gambling Act 2005
- Judicial reviews arising from the Gambling Act 2005
- Applications to the Gambling Commission for new, and variations of existing, Operators' Licences
- Devised training policies for staff in connection with the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005
- Devised age verification policies and test betting procedure
- Speaking at Paterson's Law Gambling Conference, Industry panels at the International Gambling Law Conference and the ICE Conference
- Representing trade bodies on the Home Office Working Groups
- Representing a national hotel chain in relation to food safety prosecutions.
"We have used them strategically for the last year. Their advice is clear, simple, straightforward and easy to understand."
"Few people know the intricacies of licensing as he does."
"A huge amount of gambling experience."
"Charming and professional nature."
"Strong industry background."
"Provincial Licensing practice of the Year 2014."
"Ewen Macgregor brings his intimate knowledge of the gambling industry to this…experienced team."
"brings a great deal of practical in-house experience’ to gambling and alcohol-related matters."
“I would like to extend my great appreciation to you for your help in this matter. It is a delight being able to work with a true professional."