Emma is a solicitor in the Construction and Engineering team in Plymouth and has experience of both contentious and non-contentious matters for a variety of clients including employers, contractors, sub-contractors and consultants.
On the contentious side, Emma has assisted in a variety of adjudications, mediations, arbitrations and trial preparations as well as pre-action matters.
On the non-contentious side, Emma has experience of both bespoke and standard form contracts as well as the associated ancillary documents such as warranties, appointments and security documents.
Examples of experience include advising:
- An insurance client in relation to an insured contractor defending a claim, as the second defendant, in relation to defects at a pioneering eco-school in the south west. We prepared for a full trial, undertook 2 mediations and eventually settled shortly before the trial commenced.
- A university client in relation to defects and issues relation to failure to adhere to the specification in respect of a purpose built marine teaching centre as well as cross referring fire-safety issues to our Regulatory team
- A social housing client in respect of warranties to be provided where the contractor had effectively sub-contracted the project to a member of the group company resulting in the standard form warranties being insufficient and requiring bespoke drafting
- A main contractor client in relation to alleged defects in the EWI system installed at a number of sites in the UK and consideration of both design and installation issues as well as contractual and jurisdictional matters.
- An energy client in relation to making valid calls on security bonds, the subsequent international arbitration action commenced by the other side and the eventual claim for the costs of doing so in a Spanish insolvency court.