Drawing on his past experience as a United States patent examiner and his extensive legal knowledge of intellectual property laws, David Crowe has helped many clients build virtual IP fences around new products as they are being developed, when they launch and as they grow.
His practice primarily focuses on mechanical, electro-mechanical, optical, and business method technologies. He also has extensive experience in protecting industrial designs. He often prepares, files and prosecutes new patent applications involving these technologies through the United States Patent and Trademark Office and coordinates international patent filing and prosecution efforts with experienced local counsel in countries abroad.
Recognizing that some products are not eligible for patent protection and that, due to the cost and time involved, the patent process may not provide the desired return on investment, David advises on other strategies to optimize the protection of his clients’ innovations. Through his experience with design patents, trademarks, trade dress and copyright laws, he is able to provide clients with a 360 view of how to protect their intellectual property.
In addition to helping clients develop and implement tailored IP protection strategies, when appropriate, David also works closely with Womble’s IP Litigation team to defend his clients’ rights.
- No Time to Relax for Inflatable Lounger Companies, Furniture Law Blog, Sept. 19, 2016
- The WIPO And Fighting Global Design Knock-offs, Womble Carlyle Global Blog, Sept. 16, 2016
- Functional Claim Language, USPTO Training & Williamson: A Mechanical Perspective, American Intellectual Property Law Association Partnering in Patents Conference, Oct. 2015
- U.S. Opens Door to International Application for Industrial Designs, Furniture Law Blog, March 6, 2013
- Member, North Carolina Bar Association, Intellectual Property Division
- Member, Greensboro Bar Association
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Growing a North American patent portfolio to emphasize the innovative culture of a premier fenestration product manufacturer.
- Preparing and prosecuting right-size patent families for products ranging from crown jewel boats to ancillary accessories for a leading kayak and paddleboard manufacturer.
- Counseling an international importer of holiday lighting products regarding the scope of its competitor’s patents.
- Represented a global tool manufacturer in the successful effort to invalidate a competitor’s patent and the unanimous affirmance by the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- Creatively filing US design patent and foreign industrial design applications to maximize actual and perceived protection for designers and manufacturers of residential and contract furniture.
- Conducted extensive analysis of competitors’ patent portfolios for advanced fabric manufacturers in the apparel and upholstery fields. Gained further experience of the advanced textile industry through speaking engagements at their annual conference and expo.