David takes on his clients’ most pressing and complex intellectual property problems and helps resolve them with creative and effective solutions.Whether taking a dispute all the way through a jury trial or achieving a quick resolution through settlement, David focuses his practice on guiding clients through patent, trademark, and copyright disputes. Achieving a favorable outcome begins with crafting a client’s story about the case, and David has extensive experience in creating and implementing thorough but cost-effective discovery strategies.
David’s IP litigation experience has covered apparel design and manufacturing, thermal insulation tubing, firearm mechanisms, carpet tufting machinery, polymers, multi-platform connectivity software, bank payment processing automation, automotive diagnostics, computer gaming and sweepstakes software, food packaging, and agrochemical products.His experience counseling clients in trade secret misappropriation matters has also involved a variety of fields, including hydrocarbon catalysts, semiconductors, and analytical and race simulation software used in NASCAR.
David enjoys traveling, and these cases have taken him to a variety of state and federal courts across the United States, in addition to inter partes review and trademark opposition proceedings before the PTO. Many times, these IP disputes reach beyond the US, and David has coordinated with foreign counsel on parallel proceedings in the European Patent Office, France, and China.
Honors and Awards
Selected to the North Carolina Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers, 2016 - 2019
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represented carpet tufting machine manufacturer in patent infringement dispute against main competitor. Successfully defeated a petition for inter partes review before the PTO in 2016 and obtained summary judgment of infringement and validity in federal district court for the Eastern District of Tennessee in 2017.
- Represented a large injection molded plastics manufacturer in defense of a patent infringement claim involving the company’s main product in the Western District of North Carolina. Following discovery, claim construction, and summary judgment, David helped obtained a favorable settlement before trial that allowed the client to continue to manufacture the product at issue.
- From 2012-2016, David represented a major semiconductor manufacturer in a copyright infringement and trade secret misappropriation suit against a competing company started by former employees in the Middle District of North Carolina. After many hard-fought discovery battles, as well as coordinating a parallel proceeding in China, David assisted in negotiating a positive resolution for the client while summary judgment was pending.
- Represented a hydrocarbon sweetening catalyst manufacturer in defense of a trade secret misappropriation dispute in the Western District of North Carolina. After three days of a five day jury trial, the case settled on favorable terms for the client.
- Represented numerous clients in inter partes review and trademark opposition proceedings before the US PTO.