Dan is a strategic, pragmatic thinker and a commercial real estate veteran with 30+ years of experience who excels at finding win-win solutions and resolving disputes. Formerly general counsel of a large developer and co-founder of Womble Bond Dickinson’s Tysons office, Dan attributes his success to wonderful clients, effective collaboration with clients, colleagues and adversaries, and steadfast team support. Dan represents developers, purchasers, sellers, investors, tenants and borrowers in commercial real estate transactions and disputes. He has handled the acquisition, financing, leasing and disposition of, as well as investment in, most types of real estate.
Dan resolves business disputes, especially those which involve real estate interests. He combines exceptional interpersonal skills, strategic thinking and deep experience to guide clients through litigation if necessary, but preferably to resolution without litigation. Dan has experience in mitigation banking, having chaired for several years the firm’s affiliated ecological consulting firm, Womble Bond Dickinson Ecology Innovations, which was engaged in the mitigation banking business.
Dan is “highly recommended” by clients as a “phenomenal lawyer who works tirelessly to achieve our goals” according to Chambers USA. He and his Virginia commercial real estate team (Julia Kreyskop, Whitney Smith and Ayesha Roashan) are “always enjoyable to work with.”
Dan was named one of the NCAA’s Top Five student athletes in his senior year at Cornell. He captained his NCAA Championship lacrosse team and the soccer team, and later captained the USA lacrosse team and was inducted into the National Lacrosse Hall of Fame. He coached both soccer and lacrosse (as an assistant) at UVA while he was in law school.
- Board Member, Tysons Partnership
- Chair, Corporate Responsibility Council, Tysons Partnership
- Member, Strategic Planning Committee, Tysons Partnership
- Youth lacrosse coach
Honors and Awards
- Chambers USA Ranked Lawyer, Real Estate, Virginia, 2017 - Present
- AV Preeminent Rated by Martindale Hubbell
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© in the fields of Real Estate Law, 2019 - Present
- Super Lawyers Honoree, 2006 - 2008
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Serving as project counsel for a 400-acre new town center in Loudoun County, including negotiation of the sale and ground lease of multi-family (for-sale and rental), retail and civic use tracts, as well as, various infrastructure agreements, and successful resolution of disputes.
- Representing both shopping center developers and grocery store tenants in negotiations for the sale and ground lease of anchor pads involving several different grocery chains throughout Virginia.
- Strategic positioning of a 50% owner of a real estate holding company in connection with a dispute with its co-owner, and representation at mediation resulting in the buyout of the co-owner’s interest.
- Representing the general contractor of the Kane Mitigation Bank in the Meadowlands, New Jersey, involving the establishment of construction (mechanic’s) liens on a publicprivate project in a case of first impression, the contractor’s foreclosure on the project, breach of contract litigation, insurance coverage litigation, and ultimately a multi-party settlement through mediation.
- Representing a ground lessor in a dispute with the developer of an office project in Arlington, Virginia, resulting in a favorable buyout of the ground lessor’s interest.