As Team Leader for the Financial Institutions Sector, Chris practices primarily in the areas of corporate and real estate finance, mergers and acquisitions, and other commercial transactions.
Chris’s clients include public and private businesses in the financial services, manufacturing, agribusiness, retail sales, consumer products, and health care industries. Some of the legal areas that he advises on include: structuring joint ventures; the management of environmental risks; transactional aspects of bankruptcy and creditors' rights; and structuring, negotiating and documenting all aspects of acquisitions, divestitures, complex financings and third party credit arrangements, including multi-state, multi-lender, and multi-currency transactions.
Chris’s experience also includes the structuring, negotiation, and documentation of a wide variety of consumer and commercial finance products including automobile, recreational product and equipment finance programs, dealer and vendor finance programs, as well as the purchase, sale and servicing of consumer, residential-mortgage, agricultural, and commercial loans. He has a strong interest in and regularly counsels financial institutions and non-profits regarding community development projects. Chris also has significant experience in negotiating and structuring the acquisition, sale and financing of tax credit projects.
He also regularly represents borrowers, issuers, and administrative and collateral agents with syndicated financings, convertible debt, subordinated debt and mezzanine financings, taxadvantaged financings, off-balance sheet financings, letters of credit, securitizations, structured finance, asset-based financings, and public/private debt offerings.
Honors and Awards
- Chambers USA 2018 Ranked Lawyer, Banking and Finance, North Carolina
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© in the fields of Banking and Finance Law and Securities/Capital Markets Law, 2018
- Named the Best Lawyers™ 2015 Securities/Capital Markets Law "Lawyer of the Year”
- Super Lawyers Honoree, Banking, 2006 - Present
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represented the Administrative Agent and Collateral Agent in connection with a $400,000,000 multi-currency secured revolving credit facility.
- Represented the Administrative Agent in a $150,000,000 unsecured multi-currency revolving credit and term loan facility.
- Represented the borrower (a healthcare provider) in connection with a $200,000,000 syndicated, revolving credit facility.
- Represented the issuer (a publicly held technology company) in connection with the issuance of $1,000,000,000 of senior notes.
- Represented the borrower (a transportation and logistics company) in connection with the negotiation, structuring and documentation of a $250,000,000 syndicated revolving credit facility.