Chuck is a trial lawyer with over 30 years of experience representing clients across a diverse range of professions, businesses, and industries. In advising clients and advocating their positions, he strives to embody the firm’s core values of integrity, devotion to clients, and respect for the individual. Companies and individuals retain him to represent them in complex business disputes in the state and federal courts of South Carolina. Chuck focuses his practice now on real estate disputes and zoning litigation. However, he also has extensive legal experience in the construction industry, particularly representing manufacturers of construction products and materials including exterior insulation and finish systems or synthetic stucco (over 400 cases, including several class actions), fire retardant treated lumber, and windows.
Chuck is active in the Charleston community, having served as President of the College of Charleston Alumni Association and as a member of the Charleston County Board of Zoning Appeals. He is a member of the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel (FDCC) and was formerly chair of the FDCC’s Construction and Professional Liability Sections.
Presentations and Publications
- Professional Liability Insurance Coverage for Law Firms: Understanding Key Policy Provisions and Educating Your Firm’s Attorneys, 2011
- Avoiding Catastrophes with Attorney Client Privilege, Co-Presenter, Womble Carlyle CLE for In-House Counsel, February 2012.
- Professional Liability Insurance Coverage for Law Firms, FDCC Winter Meeting, March 2011.
- A Lawyer’s Risk Management Program: 60 Tips in 59 Minutes, Panelist, FDCC Winter Meeting, March 2010.
- Building An Ethical Foundation, National Business Institute, February 2010.
- Legal Ethics in South Carolina, National Business Institute, December 2003, 2005 and 2009.
- What to Do When Construction Projects Go Bad – Termination, Lowman Education Series, December 2007-08.
- Avoiding Burnout – Law Firm Sabbaticals, FDCC Winter Meeting, March 2007.
- Holding onto Generation X and Generation Y Associates, FDCC Winter Meeting, March 2006.
- Resolving Problems and Disputes on Construction Projects in South Carolina, National Business Institute, January 2006.
- Construction Defect Claims in South Carolina, Lorman Education Services, March 2005 and March 2006.
- Defending Mold Contamination Claims, South Carolina Bar Convention, January 2003.
- Solving Water Intrusion and Mold Problems in South Carolina, Lorman Education Services, November 2002.
- Construction Management/Design-Build in South Carolina, Lorman Education Services, January 2002.
Professional and Civic Activities
- Bar Associations:
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys' Association
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel: Construction Section, Past-Chair
- Professional Liability Section, Past Chair, 2006-2007
- South Carolina Bar: Lawyers' Fund For Client Protection Committee, 1995-1999 (Chairman 1998-1999).
- Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference, Permanent Member
- Charleston Metro Chamber Commerce, Board of Advisors, 2011-Present
- Executive Board of the College of Charleston Alumni Association, 2008-Present (President, 2012 – Present)
- Charleston Contractors Association, Member, 2000-Present
- Charleston County Board of Zoning Appeals, Member, 2007-2010
- Porter-Gaud Fathers Association, Member, 2003-2009 (President, 2007-2008)
- St. Michael's Episcopal Church, Vestry, 1995-1998
- American Cancer Society Project Advisory Committee, 1992-1996 (Chair 1995-1996)
- College of Charleston Cougar Club, 1992-1996 (President, 1995-1996)
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© in the fields of Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Ethics and Professional Responsibility Law, Litigation - Construction, 2007 – Present
- Super Lawyers Honoree, 2008 – 2016
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Rating
- James Petigru Compleat Lawyer Award, 1995
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represented real estate developer in commercial lease dispute with major national retailer.
- Represented real estate developers in land use and zoning administrative proceedings and court appeals.
- Awarded defense verdicts in legal malpractice trials involving claims of $500,000 and $1.5 million.
- Awarded defense verdict in libel trial against television station involving claim of $7 million.
- Represented developers, contractors and construction product manufacturers in numerous matters involving multi-million dollar repairs to multi-family dwellings and commercial projects.