Ben works within the employment team; his primary work focussed on pro-actively managing and resolving employment litigation matters, together with providing advice on a variety of day-to-day employment law issues. He handles a number of cases for a variety of key clients, including national retailers, education establishments and national infrastructure organisations. Ben has experience of doing his own advocacy. He also has a broad range of experience in non-contentious matters, including drafting and reviewing employment documentation, and assisting on corporate support matters.
Recently Ben spent 10 months on a 3-day per week secondment with a large national retailer working in its HR legal team. Work included helping to manage the tribunal caseload, advising the employment relations and HR teams (head office and store based) and providing employment law advice on more commercial and strategic aspects of the business.
Ben regularly writes updates on employment law matters and has hosted training and seminars, including for the firm's employment clubs and for HR client conferences. He also has experience of setting up and running client helplines and advising HR and management teams on day to day employment law issues. The helplines commonly involve providing practical and commercial employment law advice on disciplinaries, grievances, redundancy scenarios and absence issues.
Ben is a member of the Employment Lawyers’ Association.
- Successfully defending a tribunal claim brought by an employee who had resigned and claimed he had been constructively unfairly dismissed on the grounds that the employer had breached the implied duty of mutual trust and confidence
- Advising a University on the outsourcing of part of its student support services, which involved advice on TUPE, the Agency Workers Regulations 2010 and employment status
- Successfully representing a retail client against allegations of unfair dismissal, disability discrimination and religious belief discrimination
- Successfully defending a client against allegations of race discrimination, disability by association and unfair dismissal (relating to flexible working)
- Working on a sensitive but high profile mediation scheme for a client involving over 10 cases.
Chambers and Partners 2011/12
“An extremely efficient and capable lawyer”
Chambers and Partners 2012/13