Anna is a veteran corporate attorney who serves as a trusted advisor to clients ranging from large, multi-national companies to privately held middle market businesses. Anna guides clients in mergers, acquisitions, sales, corporate formations, expansions, financing, strategic investments, lending and other mission-critical commercial deals.
Anna frequently serves as coordinating counsel in cross-border and multi-state transactions, including providing US and local counsel legal opinions. She also works with business owners and corporate counsel on general business matters, including contracts, leases, UCC filings and business disputes.
Anna is a member of the TriBar Committee and a Board Member of the Working Group on Legal Opinions. She is also the Past Chair of the North Carolina Bar Association’s Business Law Section and is a member of the North Carolina Bar Association’s Board of Governors.
Presentations and Publications
- Legal Opinion Recent Developments, NC Bar Association 2017 Annual Meeting, Asheville, NC, May 19, 2017
- Customary Practice Revisited and Renewed: the Statement on Opinion Practices Exposure Draft, ABA Business Law Section Annual Meeting Panel, Boston, MA, September 9, 2016
- The Brave New World of Electronic UCC Filing – Are Filers, Secured Parties and Opining Counsel on the Same Page?, ABA Business Law Section Annual Meeting Panel, Boston, MA, September 9, 2016
- Understanding the Key Elements of a Legal Opinion, ABA Business Law Basics Webinar, February 25, 2016
- Legal Opinions Not in Delaware, ABA LLC Institute Panel, Washington, DC, November 12, 2015
- Third-Party Legal Opinions in Corporate Transactions, Clear Law Institute Webinar, June 30, 2015
- What ‘Law’ is Explicitly Excluded from Legal Opinions?, WGLO Fall Meeting Panel, New York, NY, October 27, 2015
- Venture Capital Legal Opinions: Recent Developments, ABA Business Law Section Spring Meeting Panel, San Francisco, CA, April 16, 2015
- Toward a Leaner and Cleaner Practice – A Professional Responsibility to innovate, NCBA Panel, Cary, NC, December 5, 2014
- Legal Opinion Due Diligence, ABA Institute for the Young Business Lawyer Panel, Los Angeles, CA, April, 2014
- Legal Opinions: Key Provisions and New Developments, NCBA, Business Law Section, 2014 Annual Meeting Panel, Pinehurst, NC, February 20, 2014
- Venture Capital Financing Options: A Comparison of the California Approach, ABA Business Law Section Annual Meeting, San Francisco Panel, CA, August 11, 2013
- Managing Your Business Through Transition, Succession and Exit Strategies, Henderson County Partnership for Economic Development Industrial Executives Forum Panel, Flat Rock, NC, April 18, 2013
- An Introduction to Venture Capital Legal Opinions, ABA Institute for the Young Business Lawyer Panel, Washington, DC, April 6, 2013
- Ask Anna: Legal Issues for Startup Businesses, Asheville Startup Weekend, August 24, 2012
- Understanding Third Party Legal Opinions, ABA Webinar, December 2011
- Due Diligence, NCBA Basics of Business Law, Cary, NC, May 2008
- Report on the 2010 Survey of Law Firm Opinion Practices, 68 The Business Lawyer 785 (2013), Survey Subcommittee Member
- Co-Author, Statement on Professionalism for North Carolina Business Lawyers, NCBA Business Section, 2009
- Co-Author, Exempt Transactions: Practical Ways to Sell Securities, Nuts and Bolts of Securities Law 1999, Gray M. Brown, Larry D. Soderquist and Leigh Walton Co-Chairs, Practicing Law Institute, New York, NY
- Author, Clearing the Air: Environmental Regulation, Dispute Resolution, and Domestic Sovereignty Under the World Trade Organization, North Carolina Journal of International Law and Commercial Regulation, Fall 1996
- North Carolina Bar Association, Business Law Section
- Chair, 2015-2017
- Vice-Chair, 2013-2015
- Council Member, 2004-2007
- Ethics Committee Co-Chair, 2007-2009
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Board of Governors, 2016-2019
- Nominations Committee, 2008-2010
- American Bar Association
- Business Law Section: Legal Opinions Committee
- Membership Chair, 2009-Present
- Law Firm Survey Committee Member
- Business Law Section: Legal Opinions Committee
- Member, TriBar Opinion Committee, 2016-Present
- Board Member, Working Group on Legal Opinions Foundation (WGLO), 2015-Present
- North Carolina Lawyers for Entrepreneurs Assistance Program (NC LEAP)
- Chair, 2010-2011
- Vice-Chair, 2009-2010
- Steering Committee Member, 2008-2009
- Board Member, Community School of the Arts, 2014-Present
- Asheville Art Museum
- Advisory Committee Member, 2013-Present
- Board Member, 2006-2013
- Steering Committee Member, Mission Children’s Hospital, 2010-2013
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© in the fields of Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships), Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2015 - Present
- Super Lawyers Honoree, 2017 - 2019
- AV Preeminent Martindale Hubble Peer Review Rating
- Business North Carolina Legal Elite - Business
- Award Honoree, Tribute to Women of Influence (TWIN), 2012
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represented US subsidiaries of a UK company in acquisitions, parent financing and delivery of cross-border opinions, contract review, human resources and other legal matters.
- Represented private owners and buyers in business sales and transitions.
- Provided US counsel for international acquisitions.
- Provided outside general counsel representation for public and private company clients.
- Provided US outbound cross border opinions to European recipients in connection with credit facilities, real estate transactions and pensions.
- Coordinated local counsel opinions for US financings.