Alex is a seasoned corporate and securities transactional attorney with a finance and accounting background, as well as his own experience as a co-founder and executive of a start-up company. This unique combination of experience and expertise enables Alex to provide practical, business-focused and risk-adjusted counsel to his clients because he has been in “their shoes.” He is passionate about understanding his clients’ business needs, goals and objectives, as well as constraints so that he can customize his advice and services. He prides himself on serving as the “quarterback” of any engagement and working with a larger, collaborative team of lawyers across all disciplines to provide an integrated, comprehensive service to his clients. He particularly thrives in handling complex issues that require careful analysis, practical and business considerations, understanding of all potential implications, and good and sound judgment.
Alex has regularly advised public and private companies and virtually all Wall Street investment banks on corporate, securities, M&A, capital markets, spin-off, reorganization and partnership transactions for more than 20 years, with particular focus on advising REITs, hospitality/lodging/timeshare companies, commercial real estate companies, governmental contracting and IT companies. Some of his representative transactions include numerous high-profile transactions in the REIT and hospitality/lodging/timeshare industries. He has served as counsel to more than 30 publicly traded REITs, hospitality, lodging, timeshare and other companies, as well as all major investment banks, in connection with more than 100 public and private capital market transactions.
He also regularly advises his clients on various securities law and governance matters, including special situations, such as financial restatement, internal investigation, special committee and other unique matters.
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Wyndham Destination in connection with its spin-off of Wyndham Hotels and Resorts
- Hilton Grand Vacations (HGV) in connection with an underwritten selling stockholder offering by HNA of its $1.1 billion equity ownership
- Sale of Germane Systems, designer and manufacturer of rugged servers for military, aerospace and industrial application, to Mercury Systems
- HGV in a joint venture transaction with Blackstone related to the Elara property in Las Vegas
- HGV in connection with its spin-off from Hilton Worldwide in a $9.0 billion reorganization transaction.
- American Communities Properties Trust in its sale to Federal Capital Partners
- Archstone in its $22.2 billion acquisition by Tishman Speyer and Lehman Brothers
- Trizec Properties in its $8.9 billion acquisition by Brookfield and Blackstone
- Trizec Properties in its UPREIT conversion and acquisition of $2.0 billion of portfolio from Arden Realty as part of GE’s acquisition of Arden Realty
- New Plan in its $7.8 billion two-step tender offer acquisition by Centro Properties
- CarrAmerica in its $5.2 billion sale to Blackstone
- Sales of Charles E. Smith Residential to Archstone and CES Commercial to Vornado
- Equity Office in over $2.0 billion of debt offerings
- Various underwriters (including Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan, Morgan Stanley, Merrill Lynch, Lehman, Citibank, BofA, Credit Suisse and Wachovia) in debt and equity offerings by Equity Residential in the aggregate amount of over $10.0 billion, and by various REITs, including SL Green, Penn REIT, Post Properties, Meridian Industrial Trust, Taubman Center, Sovran Self Storage, and JDN Realty
- Various REIT issuer clients, including The Mills Corporation, Colonial Properties Trust, DuPont Fabros, Federal Realty, and Extra Space
- Publicly traded companies in the managed healthcare, senior assisted living, ISP/technology and other industries in connection with IPOs, 144A, secondary offering, selling stockholder and other transactions
- Host Marriott and Crestline in connection with the conversation of Host Marriott into a REIT and spin-off of Crestline as hotel leasing/management/franchise company
- Mohegan Sun in connection with $250.0 million debt offerings to finance its hotel/casino development