Alan is a managing associate in the Employment Team.
Alan advises clients across a variety of sectors, including the Education, Charity, Transport and Public Sector industries. He has a great deal of experience in advising such clients on complex employment matters, including large scale redundancies and reorganisations, changes to terms and conditions and dealing with senior executive disputes.
He is also experienced in dealing with complex tribunal claims and has successfully defended claims on behalf of employers involving allegations of unfair dismissal, discrimination and whistleblowing.
Alan also assists clients with post-termination matters and dealing with breach of restrictive covenants, breach of confidentiality and theft of company data and property. He also provides advice on TUPE related matters, including advising commercial clients on the employment aspects of sales, purchases and other transfers of businesses, including advising on the TUPE Regulations and Outsourcing.
Alan also provides corporate immigration advice. He advises clients, both UK and overseas, on a variety of business immigration matters, including complex immigration queries, assisting with sponsor licence and visa applications and advising on sponsor management and reporting requirements.
Alan regularly presents seminars and workshops to clients on all areas of Employment Law. He also provides bespoke in-house training to HR advisors, directors and senior managers and delivers workshops which are tailored towards specific client requirements.
- Defending a complex and highly sensitive claim for unfair dismissal brought by a senior executive. This matter involved a wide range of issues including a breach of restrictive covenants and theft of company data and also involved a civil claim against the former executive. Alan represented the client in both the Employment and Civil aspects of this matter and was able to achieve a successful outcome for the client.
- Providing advice and assistance to a large public sector organisation on a variety of matters, including re-organisations, complex TUPE issues and employee disputes. Alan has also provided support in the defence of, and resolution of, employment claims that often involved multiple complex issues, including allegations of discrimination and whistleblowing in addition to claims of unfair dismissal, and breach of contract.
- Advising a client on the relocation and reorganisation of its business. This involved providing advice on the relocation of several sites to one central site and a subsequent change to employee terms and conditions. It also included a reorganisation of the business and Alan provided strategic advice and guidance on how to carry out large scale redundancies under the collective redundancy procedures.
- Providing corporate support in respect of a number of large scale and highly valued corporate transactions. Alan has assisted on the due diligence part of the transaction and has provided advice in respect of the employment provisions of the sale agreements, including advice on warranties and indemnities and in relation to TUPE.
- Assisting an international client on a range of corporate immigration matters. Alan assisted the client in obtaining a Tier 2 (General) and Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer) sponsor licence and achieved an A-rating for both licences. He also provided training and guidance to the client’s key personnel on the relevant reporting requirements and responsibilities under the licences.