October welcomes Black History Month, an annual commemoration of the history, achievements and challenges of black people in the UK. For us here at WBD, we use Black History Month to raise the profile of our African and Caribbean people as well as those from the other minority ethnic groups who do not have a designated month, which is why we call it 'BAME Heritage Month – Black History'.
We invite you to join us on Thursday 24 October for "Spotlight on BAME diversity: the value of difference", an interactive panel discussion about the status of BAME diversity and inclusion in the UK as well as ways forward.
Our panellists include:
- Laura Battley, Company Secretary & General Counsel at New Look
- Raj Roy, General Counsel at Centrica
- Justin Carty, Senior Director at CBRE Capital Advisors - Investment Advisory
- Margot Day, Global Director for Risk and Commercial Law at BuroHappold Engineering
- Peter Babudu, Head of Evidence at Youth Endowment Fund
- Sushma MacGeoch, Head of Insurance Disputes at Womble Bond Dickinson
Key discussion themes will include; Black History; BAME achievements; BAME under-representation; social mobility; intersectionality and bias; and discrimination.
We want to promote healthy and honest discussions about what we as organisations (and as a society) could be doing to better support the BAME community, and our colleagues and clients, as well as offering a platform for non-BAME colleagues to cultivate their interest and contribute.
17:30 | Registration and refreshments
18:00 | Panel discussion
20:00 | Close and networking
Anyone looking to support the BAME community.